Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Solar Saturn 10 vibration limit and AD problem Login/Join

posted
Hi all,

One of my solar drive generator having high AD vibration around 9mm/s only on vertical. The dominant peak is at the generator speed of 1500rpm.

Would this effect from the misalginment since it is a single shaft turbine generator?

and anybody know what is Solar Saturn 10 casing vibration limit? or just using ISO limit?

Appreciate your comment highly. Thanks

Posts: 130 | Location: Asia | Registered: 10 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Vibuser,

You could use 5 mm/s Pk as Warning and 7 mm/s Pk as Danger, on these units. Your baseline data and/or trend would be a better indicator to rely on; if you have these that is.
It would be inappropriate to make a call/ judgement based on a single direction level, especially without even having a look at the spectra. May I suggest you provide more data on both the Turbine and Alternator vibration condition/spectra.

Cheers...Rajan Muthukrishnan

Posts: 137 | Location: Mississauga, Ontario | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rajsha

thanks for your help

attached hopefully you can see the spectra for AD and alternator vertical only

Word DocG6590.doc (28 Kb, 19 downloads)

Posts: 130 | Location: Asia | Registered: 10 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
attached is the rest of the vib data

feel free to comments why vertical axis quite high

Excel Spreadsheetg6590.xls (63 Kb, 16 downloads)

posted Hide Post
Hi Vibuser,

Seems like you may potentially have lube oil pump/bearing problems at the Accessory Drive. I knew the Solar Centaurs had Accessory Drives but, didn't realize the Saturns had them too; must be a later version. I suggest you take an oil sample and perform both property and wear elements test soonest, if you've not done that already. There's a significant engine lube oil temperature rise on the 23rd of February with a slight lube oil pressure drop; for a slight speed increase.
Check it out let us know.

Posts: 137 | Location: Mississauga, Ontario | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Rajsha,

Thanks for your opinion.

Could you brief me in detail how does the pressure drop and speed increase would affect the AD vibration? I need an explanation so that its easier to understd and to explain back to the site operations.

thanks

posted Hide Post
Vibuser,

The differences in operating parameters between the two dates, is an observation that needs further investigation on your part; it may/may not have any correlation to your AD vibration. But for about 360 rpm increase, you are seeing significant rise (54 degC - 136 degC) in engine lube oil temperature with less then 2 psi lube oil pressure drop. Have you identified the components at the AD and their speed...Pls provide this info and a sketch of where on the AD the vibration measurements are taken??