Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recip - ROD DROP READINGS PUZZLING !!!!!! Login/Join

posted
WE have a 3 stage, 4 cylinder horizontal opposing type arrangement recip compressor fitted with rod drop monitoring system. Non lubricated cylinders with PTFE piston & rider rings.

Rod drop monitoring system has two 11mm prox probes mounted 180deg apart (top & bottm) for redundancy near to gas packing rings flange in distance piece.

This is employed in compressing a hydrocarbon gas( not very dry) with condensation moisture extracted interstages automatically. The cylinders are water jacketed.

The last maintenance was carried out in month of Aug 2009 when all stage piston,rider rings, gas packings, scraper rings and valves were replaced by new ones. Also 2ns stage cyl liner was replaced since we observed few scoring marks due to complete wear out of rider rings.

AFTER STARTUP ( with rod drop monitoring system reset )the 2nd stage rod drop trend has fallen to alarm levels steadily over a period of 9 months by 900 micorns. ( alarm: 880 microns and danger:1100 microns)we recommended to plan for an inspection and replacement of rider/piston rings if calls for.

But suddenly after reaching alarm the rod drop values trend is fluctuating like a sinusoidal waveform (from +100 microns rise to -1000 microns drop)for both probes. The instrumentation is verified for gap voltage measurement and it tallies with amount of change Vs scale factor(100 mv/mil).

This has totally confused me!!! what could cause this fluctuation.( I guess one possibility of rings rotating inside !!! but last time when it was opened we found rider rings wear out only at bottm side). These rings are of scarf joint type single piece, Piston dia 500 mm.

Anyone requiring more data or clarification i would be happy to provide. Kindly revert with your inputs.

thanks

Posts: 64 | Location: Kuwait | Registered: 31 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone requiring more data or clarification i would be happy to provide. Kindly revert with your inputs.

RELI, I'm trying to understand what this rod drop monitoring system is for. When you say rod is this the connecting rod (conrod)between crankshaft and piston. And is it measuring wear in the big end and little end plain bearing?

Jonesy.

Posts: 786 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jonesy,

ROD DROP systems are for monitoirng rider band wear of horizontal recip compressors to avoid physical contact between piston and cylinder liner.

they are not for crankshaft bearings. unlike engines the recip machines will have a crosshead and a piston rod between connecting rod and piston.

Any search engine would provide u with much information.

Posts: 64 | Location: Kuwait | Registered: 31 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reli Direct
possibility 1 is tapered wear in the cylinder liner or
possibility 2 is up and down running from wear in the cross head guide influenced by crank angle

Posts: 786 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have very likely worn through your rings, and the fluctuation you see is due to cylinder contact. I would shut down and pull a head or at least the valves to check it immediately.

Rod drop is unfortunatly often times not that accurate. If you showed a steady downward trend it is very likely the rider has worn more than is indicated on the rod drop system.

There are also many sources of error in a rod drop system, so a packing leak for instance that blows gas against the probe might also cause this.

Bottom line is shutdown and do an inspection.

Attached is a paper I wrote on rod drop.

PDF Docroddrop.pdf (1,058 Kb, 61 downloads)

Posts: 559 | Location: m | Registered: 21 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot Steve. Your suggestions are very supportive.

The work and understanding you have done on ROD DROP front is very commendable. As its still a much nomans land on the credibility front your intiative is highly appriciated.

Definetly I will keep in touch with you, and look forward to have some valuable learnings from you.

good day

sumanth

email: sumanthss@gmail.com